Tuesday, October 26, 2010

the "C" word............

Ugh. The "C" word......dare I say it....its kinda like the black plague in my family. Just saying the word makes me feel sick and nauseated. Just hearing the word makes me sad and scared. I'm talking about C....C....C....Cancer, bluck.
I have lost a Grandpa, an Aunt, and a few close family friends to the "C" word. I have also had a Grandma, Aunts, friends, and co-workers who have fought it or ARE currently fighting it.
Right now, at this moment I have a sister (my twin sister) who is fighting the "C" word. I just returned from a roadtrip halfway across the mid- US to see her with the three kiddos in tow.
1800+ miles with three kids and about 14 bathroom breaks.......but it was totally worth it.
I knew my sister previously had procedures done to remove cancerous cells from her cervix and her bladder. She has explained this horrific treatment to her bladder where there go in through her urethra and shoot "medicine" straight into her bladder. Little did I know that this procedure was taking place on a regular basis as well as that she was taking two doses of Chemotherapy pills daily. :(
She didn't tell me that she was taking Chemo for her Bladder "C" word until I seen her actually take it. She said that she would be sick to her stomach in about an hour or so. I asked her what the heck she was taking that was gonna make her throw up.....she said "my chemo". I literally felt my heart drop into my shoe. "Your What?? Did you say CHEMO? When did you start taking Chemo? How many MG's is it? How long have you been taking it? OMG, Chemo? I had no idea"
Crystal says "whoa...slow down. Yes it's Chemo. I take it twice a day."
At this point I didn't actually start crying cause I was in shock, but tears were rolling down my cheeks. MY TWIN sister has the "C" word and its REAL. She takes Chemo?? I asked her "why didnt you tell me?" and she says "I didnt want you to freak out like you are right now, you had plenty to worry about with Josh leaving and Randi's breast cancer scare." I must have had a "are you freaking kidding me" look on my face cause she said "What?" All I could muster up was "I can't believe you are taking chemo, I didnt know". So after I cried for a few minutes in silence she says "Are you done?" I'm like yeah for now and she says "I'll be okay. Yes Im sick but I'll be fine." She says "I wish the C word would get the C word so it would kill itself! LOL....leave it to my quirky sister to say something like that to make me laugh when Im screaming on the inside.
I heart her. :)
Crazy how she was comforting ME when less than 15 minutes after our (well my) mini-breakdown she is on her knees in the bathroom dry heaving. She was pale, her skin was on fire, and her eyes were watering. I have a weak stomach when I hear people throw up or make a gagging noise, so I couldnt listen to her heaving. I did take her a glass of water when she was done that she heaved up just a few minutes later. When she was finished getting sick she came into her living room where I was sitting and said she needed to lay down for a little while (she was shaking like she was having withdrawals). Collin snoozed on the couch and Crystal and I crashed in her room, we haven't done that since we were kids. Of course I was exhausted and was asleep in no time.
Pardon my language but the the "C" word is a bitch. I am so thankful that I decided to make the 900+ mile treck to Colorado to see my sister. I'm glad that for a short period of time my sister got to put having a fun time first and Cancer second.
My trip was bittersweet and so not long enough. I enjoyed the time with my step-kiddos they were so awesome! I loved their reactions to every little thing along the way. Chase didnt realize the cows in the fields were pretty far away, he thought they were "miniture cows" LOL!
Kyleigh kept saying "oh my god Christine its so flat......look at all the flatness.....wow its really flat" I was like "please, dont remind me".
With all the heartache and shock, we all had a great time on Saturday at the Zombie Crawl. TONS of great memories.
Most everyone that is near and dear to Crystal and Collin now know about her cancer so I don't feel so bad about posting this blog. I will keep all of my blog followers and FB friends who read my blog updated as often as possible on her progress. She has an amazing support system. Her husband and father-in-law have been a godsent. Thank you so much Collin and Greg for being there for her endless doctors visits and bouts of illness. Her Missouri family and friends appreciate knowing that she is in good hands.
Crystal..... I love you. You are my looking glass. And if you look on the left side of your refridgerator, under the Avalanche schedule magnet you'll find a letter I wrote you. When you have a crappy day read it.
When faced with adversity you can either let it become you or stand up and fight. If you have ever learned anything from me, let this be the lesson you live by until your well again and "C" word free.

7 comments:

  1. OMG!!!! Now that I am crying like a freaking baby!!! I just wanna hug you and Crystal!!! I love you both so damn much and couldn't imagine life without you. Crystal is one of the strongest people I know, therfore, I no she will fight this. She has alot of people praying and on her side. I am always here if either of you need to talk or just cry on my shoulder! I heart you both!

    Randi

    ReplyDelete
  2. So uhm yeah. That sums it all up pretty well. I think you left out the part where I said "Keep freaking out and I will slip you a roofie", but thats neither here nor there. I enjoyed every second of getting to be with you and of seeing those kids and having Ashlyn give me her "meanie" face. I will be out to visit soon, but dont be shocked if I am hairless.....BUT DO NOT FRET, I always wanted to know what I would look like hairless...I think I will get a tattoo on my head! HOW AWESOME! I rock. Anyways, I love you Pisstine. like lots. I commented as Anonymous....HA HA HA!! Just because I am so not just a random person....well I found the humor in it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, IM CRYING NOW! I still can't believe this as well as anyone else can. I have known you guys since I was 9 and now Crystal is my sister in law, I couldn't imagine my life any different now since you(Christine) and Crystal are in it! You both have done so much for me I can't thank either one of you enough. Collin adores Crystal in so many ways and loves her to death you can just tell by the look on his face as well as Crystals!
    I know this whole C word scare has completely made my life as well as others that were not living in a "fantasy" world and this is actual reality. It makes me wanna just pack up and leave to be right by your side threw everything cause I know Collin really can't and it might make him at ease knowing his little sister is taking care of his wife! I know I would love to do it in a heart beat! I am still crying just writing this cause it seriously has me so scared!
    I Love you Crystal and thanks for sharing this Christine! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. fyi me stephanie posted that one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tom and I are so sorry to hear about Crystal, She will be in our prayers, and if you need us we are here...love ya girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, I have only met you a couple of times Crystal, but please know you are in my prayers. From what I've read on FB, you seem to be able to look on the brighter side of life, and I'm sure things will work out for you! The kiddos had a blast visiting with you over the weekend, they said they want to go back over spring break. Hang in there hun.<3 P.S. Christine, thanks for making me cry! Randi just did the other day over Kelcee, and now this! I'm going to have to stay off FB!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have read the letter like ten times now and this blog so many I could recite it in my sleep. I want you to know that I love you. When things like this happen to people they often ask "why me?"...well I say WHY NOT ME? I am not ringing my own bell here but I am stronger than most people when it comes to dealing with personal strife. I also do not let anything get me down, or at least not very often. I tell the truth to a fault and I come out swinging when backed into a corner. This C is painful, scary, trying, exhausting, heartbreaking as well. Its painful because my throat burns when I throw up and my skin feels either A- constantly on fire or B- freezing cold, I get a lot of headaches and body aches too. Its scary because when I wash my hair I loose some, I never know what the next hour has in store, let alone the next day or week. Its trying because I have to be strong and vigilant, have faith and strength when its all sucked out my pie hole and into the porcelain god. Its exhausting because if all of those reasons as well. But most of all its heartbreaking for me. Why? Because I know that each and every one of you guys that love me is sitting a 1,000 miles away wondering why you feel so unbelievably insignificant in my road to recovery. I have been there when Christine had Ashlyn and when Josh left and her heart was breaking into tiny shards. I was there when Steph had to go through all the stuff with Kaylea, I was there when Rose was dealing with the loss of Christopher (as we all were) and I could not hold her hand and help her along the way. I was there when Mom was sick, Tonya, Grandma, John, even when little things happened and I was a 1000 miles away. I felt it all. The frustration, the bitterness at having put myself and what I wanted and needed for my emotional health before what everyone else thought was the better thing to do. I know how you feel, but I also know how I feel. Your not alone, I am coping with this every second of every minute of every day. I know its cheesy but I am going to say it again....Its not about how high the mountain, or whats waiting on the other side...ITS THE CLIMB. I may (almost certain here) that I will go to hell for having quoted Miley Cyrus (god freaking forbid, I can feel my brain cells melting), but she had it right.....when I left Missouri to be with Collin and make a better life for Cheyenne and myself I felt as if I had betrayed all of you, because I know I made you (at least a small portion of each of you) feel as if your love alone was no longer enough to keep me there. Thats not true. Your love its what gave me the courage to spread my (proverbial and somewhat damaged and tattooed) wings and fly! Its because of all of you and your love that I am able to wake up and say "I can do this. I WANT to beat this." Just know this guys....I am who I am because you all love me, because I love me, because I love you. Its very rewarding to know that I have so many people who care when at times I was most definitely uncertain about who was true or not. No offense intended here towards anyone, and if it hurts your feeling then it was probably you to begin with that I had my doubts about! (Ha think on that one for a sec!)
    Any ways to cut a very long story short.....in true Crystal fashion.....I would rahter wilt and die as an individual than to conform to a cookie cutter existence. I love you so much and thank you all for your kind words and positivity sent in the western direction. So when you see that glow in the sky, just as the sun settles at the horizon know thats really my smile shining from here at home, making a promise to return for another day.

    ReplyDelete