Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Beautiful Tragedy

Looks can be deceiving is how the saying goes,
how true this phrase effects me, nobody really knows.

Make lemonade out of lemons my best friend once told me,
but I can't help to feel like a beautiful tragedy.

I have never let life circumstance get me down and blue,
how would you react if the tables were turned and it was all on you?

A face they say that lights the room at any given time,
a mesmerizing spell on you, a smile to stun your eyes.

A personality to fill the void of what physically should be there,
always affraid to spill the truth, will they be curious or run scared?

Most chances have shown the human heart is full of empathy,
I dislike the times when people look down and give me sympathy.

I do not want your charity, your sorrow and your pain,
for the gift that god gave to me, I do not take in vain.

I take a chance and run with it hoping for the best,
I feel I am one of a kind, nothing like the rest.

If you take a chance I will not fail to be a friend to thee,
and maybe then you'll understand the complexity of me.

(I wrote this poem at a time in my life when I felt like everywhere I
turned I was being judged or that people were feeling sorry for me.
I wrote this poem before I realized that it didn't matter what others
thought of me only what I thought of myself. This poem was one
of the 1st reflections of how I really felt inside about being an amputee
and living life always having to worry how people would react. It was
almost a Rite of Passage of sorts. I am so blessed to be passed that
point in my life and have very supportive people who have helped
me become the person I am today.)

Poem written: January 6th 2005

No comments:

Post a Comment